Monday, December 19, 2005

Unpeople Person

I find it troubling that almost all the fourth year graduating students in our affiliated medical school have no intention of entering primary care, or for that matter, internal medicine. What’s more alarming is the reason that they most often cite: “I found out I really hate to deal with patients/people”.

“So it’s not the money?” I ask.

Of course, it’s also the money, or lack thereof. Is it me or does the general trend go something like Jerry McGwire:

“Show me the money!”

I’ve heard so many lame excuses as to the sudden un-popularity of primary care among US graduates. Everything from blaming the medical schools for not promoting the specialty enough to citing residents for not making it exciting. Let’s cut the crap, bring some of the money back and watch how fast these graduates become people friendly again.