Sunday, January 09, 2005

Competency



A private inside look at the end of an era. See previous posts here and here

“This patient is crashing, this is the *ABG. What do you think?”
“I don’t know, what do you think?”
“This is Metabolic Acidosis?”
“If you think it is then you should treat it”
“This is the CCU, You’re the Attending, what do YOU want me to do?”
“I want you to figure this out”
“You’re suppose to help me”
“I don’t know what this is”
“Yes, I’ve noticed that you don’t”
“What does THAT mean?”
“I think you understand what it means”
“Maybe you should clear things up for me, you little shit”
“You want me to clear things up, OK, what is this patient here for? What happened to her?”
“She had an *MI”
“It’s the CCU, Everyone knows she had an *MI. What’s the main issue with her now?”
“How am I supposed to know?”
“Because I’ve told it to you for the last four days”
“You have?”
“Yes”
“I don’t remember”
“I’ve noticed”

Attending giant will hang up his stethoscope after this rotation. He told me so.